Monday, June 23, 2008

Why I Do What I Do...

A lot of people wonder why anyone would get a degree in Anthropology like I did. Let alone try to make a living at it. Well, this is Matt. He's a regular 31-year old guy... the same age as me. I remember sitting at home during my maternity leave and he showed up on the Today show. He somehow managed to take the most simple idea and made it a way of bringing people together all around the world, and proved we are not so different from each other after all. This is the new 2008 version of his video, which I highly recommend you view in HD here. YouTube doesn't give it justice.



This is why I believe in multiculturalism, and why I want to raise my daughter is world that understands that we have more in common than we have differences. The song in the video is Praan by Garry Schyman (sung by Palbasha Siddique), available as a 99 cent DRM-free MP3. It was adapted from Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore's poem Stream of Life:

"The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures. It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers. It is the same life that is rocked in the ocean-cradle of birth and of death, in ebb and in flow. I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life. And my pride is from the life-throb of ages dancing in my blood this moment."

Even the outtakes are amazing....