Friday, June 13, 2008

Welcome to my new blog...


Many of you are followers of my daughter's blog, "This, That and the Other Thing" by Sadie Angelica. It started out as a way for friends and family to watch Sadie grow and understand her view of the world from Day 1. She's had commentary on everything from taking her first steps, to the agonizing experience of teething, and most emphatically, her disgust of peas.

Since then, I've decided to branch out to discussing the many toys, products, and most importantly, books that I come across in my day to day life. Like any parent, I really look at these products and their long term effects on how my daughter thinks about herself and her world.

As an anthropologist and a former employee at the National Museum of the American Indian, I'm very aware of cultural and gender stereotypes in children's literature. I finally found books that agree with my line of thinking when I found Barefoot Books. Now I've become one of their stallholders, which means everytime you purchase a book from Barefoot Books, Sadie's college fund gets bigger.

In this blog, I plan to not only look at Barefoot Books a little closer, but also review some of Sadie's favorite products and funny stuff I come across by just being a parent. I hope to update often, so check back!